Chennai’s demographics, like those of most urban areas, reflect that fact people move where the work is. Over the years, with industrialization and proliferation of IT companies, the city formerly known as Madras is breaking away from the conservative stereotypes associated with it. According to the leading real estate companies, Chennai has seen an increase in the number of immigrants which can be connected to the growth in professional, skilled employment and educational opportunities. Core industrial jobs and especially in the automobile sector have attracted many aspirants from North India and the education system of the city provides a steady influx of young scholars.
When looking for places to stay in Chennai, location will usually cast the winning vote. However, you and your families’ lifestyle choices and requirements like proximity to work and schools, availability of amenities, healthcare facilities and media of entertainment will play a crucial role in determining which area you plan to settle into.
Whether it’s a temporary relocation or a lifetime settlement, moving to a new city or locality can be intimidating if not grueling to say the least. The top builders in Chennai and real estate agents observed that when buying apartments in Chennai or looking for Chennai apartments on rent, or even independent houses for that matter, people tend to anticipate a lot of hassle. The preemptive stress can be attributed to the lack of information. In this blog we’ll address the nerves that come with relocation and our top picks of the best localities to move into in Chennai.
This locality that derives its name from the Adyar river nearby is one of the largest neighbourhoods in South Chennai. It is a great blend of residential and commercial, owing to the significant greenery and all round connectivity with all the major areas of Chennai. It also has a very well connected and affordable public transportation system, Mass Rapid Transit System (Chennai) and bus services which run both inter and intra city. Following are a few key highlights and landmarks in and around the locality (within 15 kilometers):
- Healthcare: Fortis Malar Hospital, Sri Padmapriya Hospital, Adyar PM Hospital, Impcops Hospital
- Education : Bharath Senior Secondary School, St Michael’s Academy Kendriya Vidyalaya, St Johns English School & Junior College, The Chennai School (International Baccalaureate).
- Commerce: Rmz Millennium Sez, Ramanujan IT City, and Tidel Park.
- Recreation: Adyar Eco Park, Snake Park, Broken bridge, Muthu Nadar Complex, Adyar Gandhinagar Shopping Centre, Indira Nagar Park, Kasturibai Gandhi Grounds, Corporation Children’s Park
- Transportation: Kasthurba Nagar Railway Station, Chennai International Airport
Anna Nagar situated in the north-western region of Chennai, it is one of the most premium and expensive residential areas. It provides its residents with all the necessary amenities that make living in the neighbourhood a boon like in Anna Nagar Apartments. Following area few key highlights and landmarks in and around the locality (within 15 kilometers):
- Healthcare: Aashiana Hospital, City Tower Hospital
- Education : Shankar IAS Academy. S.B.O.A School and Junior College, Jaigopal Garodia Vivekananda Vidyalaya, Chinmaya Vidyalaya Senior Secondary School.
- Commerce: Prince Info Park, Ambit It Park
- Recreation: VR Chennai, F.S. Shoppe, Simba, Designer World
- Transportation: Chennai Metro Rail, Anna Nagar West Bus Depot
This locality famous for the Korattur Lake is considered an industrial hub. Located in the North-Western part of Chennai Korattur is a mix of both the residential and industrial life. It hosts several manufacturing industries and has flourished into both vertical and horizontal residential developments. You can find very budget friendly 2, 2.5 & 3 BHK flats in Chennai at this location. Following are a few key highlights and landmarks in and around the locality (within 15 kilometers):
- Healthcare: MMM Hospital, Apollo Hospital, Korattur Medical Center, KGJ Hospitals, Arokyaa Multispeciality hospital 24*7
- Education : Goodwill Matric, St. John, Kendriya Vidyalaya, Chennai Public School
- Commerce: TVS Group Of India, India Land IT Park, Olympia Tech park
- Recreation: Shanthi Theatre, Korattur Public Park, Korattur eco park, Kalaimani Mall, Raja Mall, Forum Vijaya Mall
- Transportation: Villivakkam Railway Station, Thirumangalam Metro Station
Mylapore is an affluent and historic locality that precedes the city by more than 1,500 years. Located in central Chennai, it is one of the oldest and most well developed areas. The cultural heritage and history of the place, testified by hundreds of temples, churches and mosques, offers a rich cultural and traditional flavor to the modernising neighbourhood. Following are a few key highlights and landmarks in and around the locality (within 15 kil犀利士
- Healthcare: CSI Kalyani Hospital, St. Isabella Hospital, A V T Hospital
- Education : P. S. Senior Secondary School, The Oxford School, Vidya Mandir Senior Secondary School.
- Commerce: Olympia Technology Park, Tidel Park
- Recreation: Ramakrishna Temple, San Thome Church, Sri Parthasarathy Temple, Escape Cinemas, Chennai Citi Centre, More Super Market, Mr. Burger, Kuchery Road, Mylapore Shopping Hub, TNHB Shopping Complex, Nageshwara Rao Park, Bheemasena Garden, Corporation Park & Children’s Playground.
- Transportation: Mundagakanniamman Koil Railway Station, Mylapore Bus Stop
Alwarpet is one of the most posh locations in the city with a very niche resident base of legislators, actors, and important public figures. The real estate rates are comparatively higher than most of Chennai but the amenities, facilities, residential properties justify the prices. Following are a few key highlights and landmarks in and around the locality (within 15 kilometers):
- Healthcare: Aashiana Hospital, City Tower Hospital
- Education : Kheal Play School & Creche, Boston International School, St. Fracis Xavier Matriculation High School, Bharatha Niketan
- Commerce: Ramanujan It City, International Tech Park Chennai
- Recreation: Kamarajar Statue, Shree Sai Baba Temple, Semmozhi Poonga, Mahatma Gandhi Statue, Land Marvel, D.R Shopping Mall, Shri Padhuka, Nageshwara Rao Park, etc.
- Transportation: Mandaveli Railway Station, Nandanam Metro Station
Moving to a new city or a new location comes with its challenges, however with a little heads up about the localities and what to expect from it can help make the decision easier and transition much smoother.